11 Paths Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Names for characters.

3 posters

Go down

Names for characters. Empty Names for characters.

Post  Ben Mon May 12, 2008 2:34 am

OKay, when playing a RPG, i find it hard to think of a name for a specific character, i mean, i only ever come back with the same name Nebu Attas on all these RPG's, as aidan all well knows from when me him and sisters use to play his system.
I need a good name for every class, for fighter a strong name, manily because how cheesy dose this sound? Nebu the Fighter.. *Dosn't work, dose it?*
so, if i could have some name sugestions.... i would be happy =) thanks...

Ben
aluBen the Nebula

Back to top Go down

Names for characters. Empty Re: Names for characters.

Post  Combat Womble Mon May 12, 2008 4:17 am

heya ben, welcome to the forums...

well, when normaly trying to think of a name i normaly use a name generator to get some clue to what name i want... not sure if it will help you come up with a name but it may give ideas towards names, heres one of the generators i have found, name generator

just used it and got Jonrak (just picked a name that i thought sounded ok from quite a few of names of the list)
Combat Womble
Combat Womble
JUST NO, DAMNIT!

Back to top Go down

Post  Aidan Mon May 12, 2008 7:33 am

I've always used words I know for character names. Like when you picked Jager as a name, I like to find the etymology behind words or group names and use them for names. For example, some of you will remember that when I joined Tod's Final Fantasy game I created a Moogle Ninja, by the name of Woden Anwyn. Woden's name has a long-researched background in Welsh and Norse mythology.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C%C5%B5n_Annwn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Hunt

The Cwm Annwyn (Cwn Annwn) are the pack of flying, spectral black dogs whose barking leads souls to the otherworld (afterlife).
Woden's Hunt is another name for the Wild Hunt (the collective mythologies of the spectral dogs / hell hounds), notably, Woden is a corruption of the name Odin.

Woden Anwyn is taken from the master of the pack which sends people on to the next world, an appropriate name, I think, for a character who brings swift and unexpectedly violent death. Woden was hardly the nicest ball of fluff there was. "...or I swear on my fluffy, red bobble, I will end you."

I think it is good to look into mythologies for characters or places who correspond to the character you are playing. I take names from foreign laguages, mythologies and the like. E.g. Dizzy-Zalash's overdrive name: "Davhal" is from indian, meaning "Bright light". Notably, his overdrive is light elemental and flashes brightly, blindingly, each time he lands a hit.

Or, my dancer character, Nadirah, is from Arabic (she is arabic herself) meaning "Rare" or "Precious". She is smooth skinned, near flawless, like a Precious gem, and as ageless. It is very difficult to tell how old she is. I also played an Elf in Earthdawn by the same name. She looks far younger than she is, and exudes a cluelessness, but she isn't measured by her appearance, she is very thoroughly capable. Like a diamond, she may be a pretty face, but she can cut steel.

Create a personality for your character and play it, choose a name that works with that and if anyone ever asks how you came up with that name, you will have something interesting to tell them. Not just "I used a generator"
Aidan
Aidan
Lord of Castle Nimbus
Lord of Castle Nimbus

Back to top Go down

Post  Ben Thu May 15, 2008 2:13 am

Thanks for help... oh, if theres any chance of gettin help on making my own system, that runs on D6 dice and that... (Aidan, you know i'm no good at making system, you saw my last attemp -_- twas an 'epic phail') so if i can get some help on it, that'll be handy Smile

Ben
aluBen the Nebula

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum