11 Paths Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Weapon Effects versus Armor effects

4 posters

Go down

Weapon Effects versus Armor effects Empty Weapon Effects versus Armor effects

Post  Combat Womble Thu Apr 17, 2008 3:36 pm

in the case of weapon piercing

Piercing
Causes the weapon to ignore non-magical armour added to the opponent’s Defence
score. Costs 25c

does this go through any of the armor effects?... im mainly thinking of the Def + stuff since im not sure wether their magical or non magical in nature
Combat Womble
Combat Womble
JUST NO, DAMNIT!

Back to top Go down

Weapon Effects versus Armor effects Empty Re: Weapon Effects versus Armor effects

Post  Aidan Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:16 pm

DEF+ is mostly based on reinforcements to the armour itself. Piercing goes through to the opponent's DEF, rather than their DWA. Magical defence boosts (e.g. Air aspect, creating distortions to mislead attacks) are not armour as such, and are not affected by piercing.
Aidan
Aidan
Lord of Castle Nimbus
Lord of Castle Nimbus

Back to top Go down

Weapon Effects versus Armor effects Empty Re: Weapon Effects versus Armor effects

Post  Combat Womble Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:23 pm

so would a highly trained artisan/crafter be able to sort the armor out so that effects such has piercing dont work on certain armor?
Combat Womble
Combat Womble
JUST NO, DAMNIT!

Back to top Go down

Post  XionAstra Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:26 pm

maybe to reduce it's effects, but it would be heavily dependant what kind of peircing you're trying to prevent. If there is a way for a person to get into the armour, there is equally a way to get a bullet or blade into it if enough force is applied.
XionAstra
XionAstra
Fateweaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Aidan Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:31 pm

In a tech setting high enough, a craftsman could add some kind of resonance to deflect piercing blows or somesuch, or if they are apt at some form of magic, they could always try to infuse a magical effect similar to high tech anti-piercing-resonance to offest Piercing, better yet a truly masterful craftsman with some magic skill could infuse armour with a Taint: Shatter Equipment (piercing) so if a weapon with piercing damage tries to puncture it, there is a chance it will be shattered, thus negating the entire attack.

There are many options for those who put their mind to it. Remember, 11p has an open ended craft/lore/magic system which lets the players describe what they want to do and how.

Xion, the kind of piercing you are talking about is better represented by a critical hit, a shot that happens to hit the weak spot/gap anyway (therefore roll of 12 = success regardless)
Aidan
Aidan
Lord of Castle Nimbus
Lord of Castle Nimbus

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:48 pm

oooooooooooooooor... I dunno this sounds better tbh mainly cause it's Balanced, Not broken, n not f%#king retarded
Every point of armor piercing brought lets the weapon ignore 1 point of armor
or when I run a game it'll be a weapon talent option for all weapons and each time its taken the AP goes up

if the thing only costs 25cc and ignores all armor theirs no point what so ever in looking at armor unless you plan to use fag magic

Scott
The Angry Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post  XionAstra Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:06 pm

It's not often that I agree with scott on something (apart from what he said about magic, but I prefer to escape from the cruelness of reality), but lowering the cost of piercing, but making it so that it only ignores a point of armour every time it is bought is a better idea than having the ability to ignore all non-magical armour on a weapon that could be weilded by a level 2 character (had it cost 1 less point we'd be seeing 2-handed weapon users with this at level 1!).

If a character can have this devastating effect at level 2 (3 if you're using a 1 handed weapon), there is going to be problems keeping the challenge up as you can't just throw the party up against a heavily armoured foe anymore, and without foe like these the ability is left their gathering dust... unless I am misunderstanding something.
XionAstra
XionAstra
Fateweaver

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:12 pm

also maybe with the weapon Moduel's me n gay mike came up with certain weapons already have 1 or 2 points of AP

for instance lets say we're doing a Hard Sci-fi game and the most common weapon around is the good old slug chucker but my character goes out n buy's a M.A.R (Mass Accelerating rifle aka gauss gun) all it seems to do is do a little extra damage well... that sucks can't it just be like a normal pistol but with AP 2 or 3?

Scott
The Angry Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post  Aidan Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:34 am

Hmm, yeah, perhaps a revision of armour and AP is in order, but naturally, if a weapon has AP, it's because it's built that way, so the AP would be part of the weapon build cost. That's what weapon build is there for. If you want an MAR you need to sacrifice 25cc to build that particular weapon. The weapon build is there to keep weapons balanced, so giving certain types of weapon a 'free' AP level or two would unbalance things.
Aidan
Aidan
Lord of Castle Nimbus
Lord of Castle Nimbus

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:36 am

and a weapon with instant "Only fag magic will stop it" AP isn't?

Scott
The Angry Gamer

Back to top Go down

Post  Aidan Fri Apr 18, 2008 6:53 am

Like I said, not only magic. Technological effects can be used to similar effect.

I'm not saying changing the system to have points of AP will unbalance, I'm saying that giving anything a free level of anything would throw off the system. There are equipment caps for a reason 12/24 x level is a safe cap for weapons, means no matter how good the craftsman, you can't equip a weapon with more overall power than the other players.
Aidan
Aidan
Lord of Castle Nimbus
Lord of Castle Nimbus

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down